Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pounding the Pavement

Two weeks ago I left a proof copy of my book with the only bookstore here in Safford. They are literally my only chance of getting my book into a physical store. So you can imagine how frustrating it has been for me to have to wait two weeks to hear back from them.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait even longer. When I went in to check on it with them I was treated so rudely I almost wanted to yell back at them and leave, my book in hand, and never return. But I've come to know the owners somewhat over the last few years I've been here. As I said before, they are the only bookstore. They aren't rude people. At all. So I swallowed my first reaction and said I'd check back in a couple of weeks.

I wonder what happened to make them act the way they did? Was it a previous customer and I just had the pleasure of getting dumped on? Are they under so much stress that I was the straw that broke the camels back? It really doesn't matter at this point, I guess I'm just saying it sucks.

And if this is what it's always like pounding the pavement, I'm going to have to grow even tougher skin.

Hope I don't turn calloused.

No comments: