Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Character

I am a very character-driven reader. I don't know if that's actually a real term, but I'm using it. What it means to me is that if I don't care for the characters, if they aren't alive for me, then I usually don't enjoy the story. They have to be identifiable in some way, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to be like them in some way.

Let's take Scarlett O'hara for instance. She's not sweet or nice. I've never lived on a cotton farm (though I am surrounded by them), and I've never had men fawning all over me. But she was a very real character and the main reason I loved Gone With the Wind so much.

I tell you this so you understand my dilemma. I introduce a few new characters in Akasha book 2. Two of which came to me like I already knew them. The third however is being very stubborn. I just can't get a handle on her. It's very frustrating.

I'm almost to the point where I just want to cut her out, but she's important to the story.
So what do I do at this point? Well, while writing Akasha I had to write several scenes from Bryshen's point of view so I could get a better handle on him and how he'd react to a certain situation. I suppose that's what I'm in for today. Because until I figure this girl out, this story isn't going anywhere.

(cue loud groan)

No comments: