Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Music

Music is a pretty big part of my life. I love listening to it and I love singing it (as long as it's just my kids around). But I can't listen to music while I write. Not-physically typing away at my keyboard-write. But we authors all know the writing happens in our heads long before we sit down. Most of my story writing happens while I'm doing those menial chores like dishes or laundry. I put on my head phones and listen to whatever music is going to help me work out plot ideas or emotions my characters should be feeling. You know, mood music.

So with this new book I'm having a little trouble with the music aspect. It's taken me quite a while to figure out what kind of music my MC would listen to. And I'm not all that happy with what I came up with. Because she listens to Rock.

Me? I like Dashboard Confessional, Matt Nathanson (acoustic stuff), Ingrid Michaelson, and Regina Spektor. All very mellow stuff. In my early days, you know before kids and husband days, I was known to enjoy a bit of alternative here and there. When I get a wild hair I'll still listen to Eve 6. Mind you I bought the edited, no bad words versions.

This Rock stuff is all new to me. I can only handle a few songs at a time. So my question is, how far do you go to get into your character's head? How can you make your reader connect to someone you haven't even connected with? And am I totally crazy for worrying so much about this?

If you have thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them. Especially if you want to give me any advice on good Rock songs that aren't too crazy. ;)

P.S. Thanks to all those who entered the giveaway and congrats to zeezee22!

No comments: