Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Book Review: Clarity


While on vacation I had a day where I didn't feel so great. So, while everyone was enjoying swimming, Lego Land, or the beach, I was cuddled under a blanket reading. Which isn't a bad way spend vacation as far as I'm concerned. And Kim Harrington's Clarity was a great vacation read.

It's fast paced so I read it one day. I like those kinds of books.

However, I only gave it three stars on goodreads. And here's why. It started out good enough. It was almost like Medium and Veronica Mars wrapped into one book. I love both those shows, so I'm thinking it's gonna be great. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as well as either of those shows. For some reason the author felt the need to describe exactly what every person was wearing every time they entered the scene. Except Gabriel. First it was, holy cow he has a hot body, and then enter description of what he's wearing. It was very distracting. I wish she would have focused more on the mystery.

This may sound like a little thing to most of you, but it sure bugged the heck out of me. I wanted more emotion and less attire.

That alone would have earned it four stars, but I took another one off for cheesy dialogue.
I really wanted to like it, and if you're looking for a quick read and like to know exactly what everyone is wearing, then give it a shot. The plot moved nicely and I didn't want to put it down. She left it open for a sequel, and I'm tempted to read it. I guess that says something.

No comments: